Localities history
Within the territory of the town two funeral stones and some bricks stamped with the marking of the XIIIth Legion Gemina were discovered. Another important finding is the coin hoard discovered at Zarnesti-Bran, comprising of small bronze coins dating back to the III-IV centuries A.D., bearing the effigy of several Roman emperors.

Local legend speaks of the existence of a "Villa Zernensis", name originating from a shepherd named "Zerne", whose son might have settled in these parts giving the name of the village in the memory of his father. At the beginning of the past millennium, Transylvania, formed of small kingdoms, becomes an easy pray for the Hungarian invasion.

During the 13th and 14th centuries the German colonization of Transylvania, Banat and tara Bârsei occurs, thus the first document attestations of the Tohan village (1294) and Zarnesti (1367) under the names of "Tuhan" and "Zernehaza". Tohanu Nou is mentioned in documents only in 1769, apparently as a result of Tohan residents’ evacuation from their old settlements, because of their disagreement to change their religion. The Middle Ages are marked by a series of invasions of Tara Bârsei, including the villages of Zarnesti and Tohan. Also, the interest of Hungarian and German landowners, in acquiring the settlements above mentioned, until the 16th century, when they become administrated by the town of Brasov.

The first Turkish invasion in Tara Bârsei took place in 1421, when the villages of Tohan and Zarnesti are burnt. The population retreats to the area where today is located the "Coltii Chiliilor" hermitage. Later on, other invasions take place, the population retreating to the mountains each time.

In 1660 the local residents support Gheorghe Rakoczi in conquering the Bran Fortress. The last Turkish incursion takes place in 1690, when the "Battle at Zarnesti" also occurs. The youth in Zarnesti took part in the events of 1877-1878 against the Ottoman Empire. The Period between the world wars is characterised by stability, peace and prosperity, the economy peaking around the year 1938. The Second World War claimed the lives of many young local residents, and others were made prisoners of war.

The oldest traces of human existence within the Rucar village territory date back to the period of Roman Domination in Dacia, at Rucar being built a "castellum", which was destroyed during the events in 117-118 A.D. The oldest document mention of the Rucar village dates back from 1377. The village witnessed the frequent passing of troops towards Transylvania, or from here to Tara Româneasca (Vlad Tepes in 1459 towards Transylvania, Stefan Bathory in 1476 towards Tara Româneasca, Mihnea III in 1658 etc.). On the village grouds Radu de la Afumati fought the Turkish troops. Sigismund of Bathory and his army spend a week at Rucar.

The traces of the rebellion led by Tudor Vladimirescu in 1821 are well known in the village. Part of the army led by Ipsilanti and Tudor lived for a while in these parts. In 1848 the temporary government retreated here. The War of Independence claimed the lives of many, including among the Rucar inhabitants. In times of peace, the village housed a frontier guard’s formation, in charge with the security of the frontier and the mountain pass.

The oldest traces of human presence in the area of the Magura and Pestera villages date back to the Palaeolithic, judging from the silex tools discovered here. Ceramic fragments were also discovered, dating back to the post roman period. The Zbarcioara, Coacaza and Sirnea villages are first mentioned in 1373, in a "colibasi" list. The strategic position of the area is proved by the Bran fortress, built in the 14th century. This fortress was later on given to the people of Brasov, together with the Bran lands. As a result of this decision, the town of Brasov also became the owner of the surrounding villages, belonging to the Bran fortress. The inclusion of Transilvania in the Habsburg Empire would have an influence on the Bran villages as well, especially in terms of higher financial obligations. The 1848 revolution led to the exile of the castle owner while the Brasov representatives seized the power. This was also the time when serfdom was abolished. Starting with the year 1968, the Magura and Pestera villages have belonged to the Moeciu Region, while Sirnea belongs to the Fundata Region.

Orasul Zarnesti la 1954  Ruinele cetatii Negru Voda